Register | Recover Password

Making a Will in Spain


Should you already have a property in Spain or are going to purchase one, there are many good reasons for making a will in Spain, even if you have made one in your own country.

We strongly recommend making a separate Spanish will on your Spanish assets.

Your will signed in your own country will probably be recognised as valid in Spain but the cost of having it recognised (expense of an official translation of all original documents of your own country and solicitor’s fees), is always greater than the cost of dealing with a Spanish will.

Also a Spanish will, drafted in accordance with the Spanish formalities, makes it much quicker to deal with your affairs in Spain. Your Spanish assets will be distributed to your heirs and registered in their names quicker.

Please also note that the Spanish Inland Revenue impose penalties if Inheritance Tax is not paid within 6 months from the date in which testator died and it normally takes more time arrange documents from your own country to be valid in Spain.

For all these reasons we strongly recommend making a separate Spanish will on your Spanish assets and registering it in Spain. The cost of the Spanish Notary in front of whom you sign the will is approximately 80 Euros so it not worth waiting to sign it.


When you choose to buy or to rent a suitable Spanish or Overseas Property we will work with you through every step of the purchase process to ensure you fully understand all of the legal requirements and your own responsibilities. We will explain ALL of the costs associated with purchasing in Spain or buying Overseas Property and provide Spanish and UK based contacts, before, during and after your purchase and all issues will be handled efficiently in a manner you would expect from an organisation that makes customer service our highest priority.

!Permanent residency permits available for non EU investors buying Spanish property at €500,000

The information presented at these pages is provided for general information only and should not be regarded as offering a precise and complete advice. Future changes in legislation could affect the information provided. Therefore, people accessing this information are encouraged to contact us or seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.